Re: No focus on map hint

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 06:24:49PM -0600, Ben Jansens wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 06:01:07PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > >
> > > There isn't much to keynav around in xclock...
> >
> > There is though. How do you close/move/resize the window without
> > focusing it? Most window managers require you to focus the window,
> > then use other keybindings to invoke the close/move/resize operation.
>
> With the mouse? When an app doesnt request keyboard input, its going to be
> something that sits out of the way, like.. xclock, which you don't want to
> end up alt-tabbing to. That would just get in the way.

It's a requirement for GNOME that *all* operations can be done via the
keyboard. Many disabled users rely on the keyboard (or input devices
that end up generating keystrokes), and are unable to use the
mouse. Not to mention that many users just prefer to use the keyboard
for speed reasons.

Some things are inherently mouse-requiring (playing quake?) but
closing/moving/resizing windows certainly isn't.

If you want to tell all the blind and paralyzed and otherwise disabled
people in the world they can't close or move certain windows then
fine, but I'm not going to do that just to be pedantic about the
ICCCM. ;-) Especially when there's zero benefit to what the ICCCM
specifies here anyhow.