Re: No focus on map hint

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 17:35, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:29:34AM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > What is wrong with using the ICCCM-provided mechanisms for this ?
> > The globally active input model allows clients to decide themselves if they
> > want to take focus or not.
> >
> > see http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.7
> >

> You have to be able to "focus" all windows in the WM, whatever the
> input hint is set to. Otherwise you can't keyboard navigate some apps
> (e.g. xclock).

There isn't much to keynav around in xclock...

> Aside from keynav, it just looks like a bug to users if they click a
> window and it doesn't become active, or they open xclock and it isn't
> initially focused.

But isn't this exactly what the proposal is about ? A way to avoid
giving focus to newly mapped windows ?

> Basically the idea of an unfocusable window is wrong, no such thing
> should exist, other than very special-purpose stuff like input method
> status windows (which should most likely be override redirect
> anyhow). But a window that doesn't focus *on map* is useful.  We could
> redefine the input hint to mean that, but introducing a new hint seems
> cleaner.

Well maybe. But I wasn't advocating to reinterprete the ICCCM input
models, just to use them. xlock (to stay with that example) could use
the globally active input model, and then decided to not take focus upon
being mapped, but still accept focus later on. Maybe a new hint
specifically for this purpose is preferable, I just wanted to point out
that the behaviour is achievable with 10 year old ICCCM technology.

Matthias