Re: No focus on map hint

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:33:25PM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 17:35, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > You have to be able to "focus" all windows in the WM, whatever the
> > input hint is set to. Otherwise you can't keyboard navigate some apps
> > (e.g. xclock).
>
> There isn't much to keynav around in xclock...

There is though. How do you close/move/resize the window without
focusing it? Most window managers require you to focus the window,
then use other keybindings to invoke the close/move/resize operation.

> > Aside from keynav, it just looks like a bug to users if they click a
> > window and it doesn't become active, or they open xclock and it isn't
> > initially focused.
>
> But isn't this exactly what the proposal is about ? A way to avoid
> giving focus to newly mapped windows ?

But xclock *should* be focused. It sets the input hint just to mean
"I'm not going to do anything with key events," which is different
from "I should not be focused on map" or "I should not be focused
ever"