Re: [RFC] _NET_WORKAREA and Xinerama

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:24:19PM -0800, Rob Adams wrote:
> So then there's no reason to have full-width struts at all, except for
> backwards compatibility.  What does KWin do with struts right now?
> Perhaps we should switch generally to a partial-width strut for all
> uses, then define a useful semantic for dealing with legacy struts in a
> reasonably intelligent way.

Right, I think the semantic of _NET_WM_STRUT should just be "it is
assumed full-width"

_NET_WM_STRUT is an array [ left, right, top, bottom ]

We could do a partial hint something like:
 _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL  [ left, start_y, end_y, right, start_y, end_y,
                          top, start_x, end_x, bottom, start_x, end_x ]

_NET_WM_STRUT is thus a shortcut for the partial hint with start/end
set to full screen size.

If that sounds OK we should try implementing in at least one WM prior
to putting it in the spec I think.