Re: Window History Placement

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:02:49AM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 01:38, Ben Jansens wrote:
> >
> > The one real advantage I see to 'history placement' is that it is
> > implicit. You move the window, you close the window, you open the
> > window, and its in the right spot.
> >
> > What I'm not sure about is that fact that we seem to be changing the
> > default behavior for applications, which is going to break legacy
> > apps. xterm was a good example of this. Now legacy apps that dont want
> > to have their position remembered will be horribly annoying to use
> > with this history enabled.
>
> I don't see this. These legacy apps most likely had their initial
> positions mangled by some Smart- or Clever- or WhateverPlacement
> function, so what will change if they have their initial position
> mangled by HistoryPlacement now ? Unless they set USPosition/PPosition,
> in which case nothing will change.

I don't think most window managers' did placement routines where all
windows of the same hints got placed in the same position though. A
window which didn't asked to be placed wouldn't be placed on top of
the other 4 of the same type. It will make history placement rather
anti-productive if all xterms get placed at the same position, and all
nautilus windows, etc.

I understand this is somewhat implementation specific, but the general
idea of this technique seems to be unfriendly towards any application
which doesn't take this into account.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/