Re: Window History Placement

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 01:38, Ben Jansens wrote:

> The one real advantage I see to 'history placement' is that it is
> implicit. You move the window, you close the window, you open the
> window, and its in the right spot.
>
> What I'm not sure about is that fact that we seem to be changing the
> default behavior for applications, which is going to break legacy
> apps. xterm was a good example of this. Now legacy apps that dont want
> to have their position remembered will be horribly annoying to use
> with this history enabled.

I don't see this. These legacy apps most likely had their initial
positions mangled by some Smart- or Clever- or WhateverPlacement
function, so what will change if they have their initial position
mangled by HistoryPlacement now ? Unless they set USPosition/PPosition,
in which case nothing will change.

> There doesn't seem to be a happy middle ground to this problem
> however, as you want many legacy apps to save their position
> automatically too.

I guess we'd have to play around with Ben's implementation to see how it
feels in practise before we theorize further.

Matthias