Re: frame size hints - for Wine

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:15:42 +0900 Mike McCormack <mike codeweavers com>
babbled:

> Hi Dominik,
>
> Think of it as a recommendation, rather than a garantuee. If the window
> manager changes the size of the frame later, that's OK. The user can
> move the window.
>
> If I place my window a 0,0 the frame won't be visible, so the value I'm
> looking for is simply a location (x,y) to place my window so that the
> frame will be more or less visible, and not off the edge of the screen.
> If some of the WM's frame is not visible, that's OK. Just suggest me an
> offset... it's better than nothing.
>
> You can say that this is bad design, etc, but in the end, this is a
> problem in Wine that is not easily solvable. At this time, I am
> considering looking at the parent of my window and calculating the size
> of the frame from the difference in size.  That won't work for some
> window managers.

</lurk>
i agree it would be good to have such a hint... :)

i don't think it's bad design... there isn't a reason NOT to provide this
info... in fact Enlightenment does. the _E_FRAME_SIZE property is set on the
client window (and updated whenever the border padding sizes change) to let the
app know how big the frame is on the top, bottom, left and right borders (the
property is an array of 4 cardinals for left, right,top and bottom borders
respectively). a borderless window has them all at 0,0,0,0. a typical frame
would be 4,4,24,4 (the top being the largest). the app can know the border
changed size if a property notify happens and then it can read the property. the
app can now respond by configuring its window to be moved somewhere etc.
accordingly.
<lurk>