Re: _NET_DESKTOP_GEOMETRY, _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS and WM_CLIENT_MACHINE question

Depending on the host name at all is hazardous...

Laptops are mobile creatures, and names come and go, as you wander around.

Then again, Gnome's behavior in this circumstance right now is pretty broken:
I set my hostname statically to avoid this brokenness...

In theory, the WM_CLIENT_MACHINE should be the name of initiating host of
a connection.  With Mobile IP and updating DNS beginning deployment, we
need to handle the case that the primary address changes as the
system wanders from network to network (and gets new IP addresses
and local names with regularity, while being able to preserve older names
(courtesy of mobileIP)).

Unfortunately, I'm not up enough of the details of MobileIP to say exactly
what the right solution is going to be....
                       - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory