Re: Last call for EWMH 1.2

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 08:46, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 17:30, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > >
> > > The WM always sets visible_name, the app always sets wm_name.
> >
> > I am aware that only the wm sets the atom.  My question is about when.
> > Blackbox does not munge the window titles like the example does so it
> > generally shows exactly what the app requested.  So then the question
> > becomes do I set visible_ for the app if it only provides wm_name and not
> > net_wm_name?  If so the rationale text is misleading.
>
>  I don't understand where you see a problem.
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/1.2/html/x224.html says that
> you set _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME only if it differs from WM_NAME/_NET_WM_NAME.
> Since it doesn't differ in BlackBox, you don't have to set it, and pagers
> etc. will fall back to _NET_WM_NAME/WM_NAME. What is the thing you find
> misleading?

<quote>
If the Window Manager displays a window name other than _NET_WM_NAME the
Window Manager MUST set this to the title displayed in UTF-8 encoding.
</>

It specifically says other than _NET_WM_NAME, so displaying _WM_NAME would
require setting _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME if I read this correctly.  Which is fine
if that is the intention.  I am just seeking clarification for myself and the
spec.