Re: Last call for EWMH 1.2

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 17:30, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 08:19, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry attbi com> writes:
> > > the two visible name properties.  If a client only sets WM_NAME is the
> > > window manager supposed to set net_wm_visible_name?  I presume the same
> > > answer applies to icon_name.
> >
> > The WM always sets visible_name, the app always sets wm_name.
>
> I am aware that only the wm sets the atom.  My question is about when.
> Blackbox does not munge the window titles like the example does so it
> generally shows exactly what the app requested.  So then the question
> becomes do I set visible_ for the app if it only provides wm_name and not
> net_wm_name?  If so the rationale text is misleading.

 I don't understand where you see a problem.
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/1.2/html/x224.html says that you
set _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME only if it differs from WM_NAME/_NET_WM_NAME. Since
it doesn't differ in BlackBox, you don't have to set it, and pagers etc. will
fall back to _NET_WM_NAME/WM_NAME. What is the thing you find misleading?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/