Re: pseudo transparency

Owen Taylor wrote:

Sasha Vasko <sasha aftercode net> writes:
You cannot shade but you can tint. By using GC with function set to XOR,
you can tint background in 6 "whole" colors: red, green, blue, yellow,
cyan, mag. by simple XFillRectangle. Works rather nicely in aterm.

Actually just after I sent this it occured to me that using XRender it is indeed very easy to shade Window that has ParentRelative background. All one has to do is to use image pixmap 1x1 of desired color (white , grey, black) and alpha pixmap filled with some meaningfull alpha value ( 0x7F for example ) and on each Expose or ConfigureNotify - do XClearArea and XRenderComposite.

In fact I tried it and it works rather nicely.

That makes ParentRelative a very interesting alternative.

I don't think RENDER (or plane masks) are actually useful with the
parent-relative thing since you have to _first_ clear, _then_ tint,
which is not going to look OK for ConfigureNotify or when scrolling.

It looks wonderfull. I've been using it for 2 years and so did many others, and there was only positive feedback.

In fact ConfigureNotify handling in particular works much better then Eterm approach. Plus it is using much less memory.

Regards,
                                        Owen

Sasha