Re: Initial window placement

> Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us writes:
> > The other valid reason why client should know about its frame's
position
> > is to save it, and be able to restore its position next time it starts.
> > But since providing client with raw data will make it prone to errors
> > in the way client translates it into actuall position, we better
provide
> > client with ready to use data - exact position, size and border width
> > of the client, that has to be set by application in order to appear in
> > exact same place after all the window manager adjustments:
> >
> > _NET_WM_SAVE_GEOMETRY <client_x><client_y><client_width><client_height>
> > <client_bw><gravity>
> >
> > All the client has to do is save this somewhere, and when it restarts,
> > supply this exact data to XCreateWindow and WM_NORMAL_HINTS. Window
> > Manager will have to update this property each time window is moved.
> > Sort of making it as foolproof as possible.
> >

> When would you use this that isn't covered by session management?

Good example is XMMS trying to restore its location.

Not that I'm proponent of letting clients doing that sort of things.
You are right - that should solely be handled by window manager
session management policy, but so many of those clients attempt to
implement it on their own, causing wierd things of window's slowly
edging out of the screen. WE could at least provide them with
some hints, so they avoid blatant errors.