Re: Initial window placement

Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us writes:
> Good example is XMMS trying to restore its location.
>
> Not that I'm proponent of letting clients doing that sort of things.
> You are right - that should solely be handled by window manager
> session management policy, but so many of those clients attempt to
> implement it on their own, causing wierd things of window's slowly
> edging out of the screen. WE could at least provide them with
> some hints, so they avoid blatant errors.

My WM simply ignores configure requests for windows with the NORMAL
semantic type. ;-)

I'm considering adding a dialog:

 if (strcmp (window_title, "XMMS") == 0)
    show_dialog ("XMMS detected. Would you like to XKillClient()?");

Anyhow, I think if we provide a hint here it should be a way to
request that the WM session manage the window, not a way for clients
to do their own SM. For cross-session position saving, then the SM
spec already allows it, and we don't need to add anything more.  For
saving across e.g. two launchings of XMMS in the same session, we
could do something like the hint I mentioned earlier, we give XMMS a
"save geometry ID" that it can restore.