Re: Initial window placement

Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us writes:
> _NET_WM_SAVE_GEOMETRY <client_x><client_y><client_width><client_height>
> <client_bw><gravity>
>
> All the client has to do is save this somewhere, and when it restarts,
> supply this exact data to XCreateWindow and WM_NORMAL_HINTS. Window
> Manager will have to update this property each time window is moved.
> Sort of making it as foolproof as possible.

A perhaps nicer way to do this, if you want to allow saving window
position inside a session (rather than across two sessions), would be
something like:

 _NET_WM_GEOMETRY_SAVE_ID <arbitrary unique string>

If you map a window with an empty _NET_WM_GEOMETRY_SAVE_ID then the WM
fills it in with an ID. If you subsequently map a new window with the
_NET_WM_GEOMETRY_SAVE_ID from a previous window, the WM should restore
the size/position of the previous window to the newly-mapped window.

But I would expect this to be nearly always broken; the user may have
moved the main app around, so saving the position of a dialog is
broken. I'm not sure what kind of window it would be correct to do
this for.

Between sessions we should definitely be using the SM spec though.
Encouraging clients to save their own positions is very bad.