Re: Draft 1.9c

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 raster@rasterman.com wrote:

> On 25 Nov, Marko Macek scribbled:
> ->  raster@rasterman.com wrote:
> ->
> ->  > well thsi can be done just by PID :) oh hold on.. hmm no actually if
> ->  > the spawnign spawns a process that spawns yet another process that
> ->  > spanws yet another process (ie scriptS) then we have isses.. yes an
> ->  > inherited evnironment variable set by the wm fo rthat "launch" that is
> ->  > then set on all widnows displayed by that app.. yes.. i see this use..
> ->  > perhaps it shoudl be in the spec (apps have to set a property ont he
> ->  > window thta is the contents of thsi variable (numeric) ie:
> ->  > _NET_INSTANCE_ID(CARDINAL)
> ->
> ->  I support this (and PID), but _INSTANCE_ID should be a string.
>
> hmmm - comments? i dont really have a prefernce... :)

Sorry if I'm being somewhat slow here, but I don't quite follow what is
being suggested.  Applications should set an instance ID property, right?
How do they get that instance ID?

I do know that being able to tie particular windows to a particular
process allows one very neat feature:  Give new windows focus, unless the
user has deliberately focused another window since starting the app.  It's
a NextStep thing...

cheers,

Paul