Re: Draft 1.9c

On 25 Nov, Paul Warren scribbled:
->
->  On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 raster@rasterman.com wrote:
->
->  > On 25 Nov, Marko Macek scribbled:
->  > ->  raster@rasterman.com wrote:
->  > ->
->  > ->  > well thsi can be done just by PID :) oh hold on.. hmm no actually if
->  > ->  > the spawnign spawns a process that spawns yet another process that
->  > ->  > spanws yet another process (ie scriptS) then we have isses.. yes an
->  > ->  > inherited evnironment variable set by the wm fo rthat "launch" that is
->  > ->  > then set on all widnows displayed by that app.. yes.. i see this use..
->  > ->  > perhaps it shoudl be in the spec (apps have to set a property ont he
->  > ->  > window thta is the contents of thsi variable (numeric) ie:
->  > ->  > _NET_INSTANCE_ID(CARDINAL)
->  > ->
->  > ->  I support this (and PID), but _INSTANCE_ID should be a string.
->  >
->  > hmmm - comments? i dont really have a prefernce... :)
->
->  Sorry if I'm being somewhat slow here, but I don't quite follow what is
->  being suggested.  Applications should set an instance ID property, right?
->  How do they get that instance ID?

environment variable:
eg
app lanching does
export _NET_INSTANCE_ID=134
(well uses the suystem calls putenv() etc.)
once it's fork()'d but not execv()'d yet so the app inherits this
environment.

and the app uses the contents of the environemtn variable and sets it
to all its windows.

->  I do know that being able to tie particular windows to a particular
->  process allows one very neat feature:  Give new windows focus, unless the
->  user has deliberately focused another window since starting the app.  It's
->  a NextStep thing...
->
->  cheers,
->