Re: Work in Progress: draft 1.9a

Dominik Vogt wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 08:05:26PM +0100, M.Rogers@cs.ucl.ac.uk wrote:
> > >This modal thing reminds me of something else: Currently
> > >application-modal windows are not handled very nicely (in Qt anyway).
> > >When you click on one of the main windows, it will be raised and then Qt
> > >raised the app-modal dialog again. This is annoying.
> >
> > Would it make sense for window managers to keep all transients stacked above
> > their parents?
>
> At least several fvwm users keep complaining about it. It's
> definitely a matter of personal taste. I see no reason why one
> should force netscape's 'find' window fully above the browser
> window (just an example).

I think this is absolutely necessary when the dialog is modal, and a
good idea when it is not.

Note: windows/os2 (maybe mwm) are even more restrictive. They will
always keep owner window and the transients together in Z-order. When
you raise the dialog, the main window will be raised with it.

Example: when Netscape pops up some network error message, the relevant
browser window will pop up with it. This is important for people like me
which have several dozen browser windows open at the time. I plan to
implement it in icewm as an option.

Mark
--
... GUI: WPS.