Re: Work in Progress: draft 1.9a

Michael ROGERS wrote:

> >> Icewm certainly does keep the WM_TRANSIENT above. The problem is with
> >> application-modal windows where there is no owner window and no
> >> WM_TRANSIENT.
> >> (I seem to remember especially annoying behaviour where the window would
> >> be raised on mouse-enter :((( )
> >
> >I totally agree. I consider application-modal windows bugs anyway.
> >Unfortuntately it's common practice among some KDE coders.....
> >
> >We are trying to get rid of them all (the application-modal windows, not the
> >coders ;-).
> >
> >btw: there _is_ a TRANSIENT_FOR, it's just that it is transient for the root
> >window. I don't know if window managers should keep windows of this kind
> >raised. Opinions?
>
> I think GTK sets WM_TRANSIENT_FOR to the root window for all transients by
> default, so if you treat them as modal you will probably have a lot of
> modal GTK apps too.  ;)

WM_TRANSIENT is not about modal. It is about
keep-on-top-of-the-owner-window.
To make a thing modal you need MWM hints.

I now noticed that GTK does everything (WM_TRANSIENT=root, window group)
that I need to implement application-transient dialogs. (stay above
all). Adobe acrobat also seems to do something similiar, I have to check
if it is OK too.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Mark
--