Re: [Vala] Worried about the state of Genie

Landon,

Jamie has been doing a great job in responding to bugs in the last few days. He probably needed the jolt from this mailing list to realize that, yes, there is interest in Genie, and people are writing big things in it. I hope this trend will continue. Also, it seems that some of the issues that I reported a year ago have resolved themselves somehow. I'm feeling less alarmed and more hopeful now. I'm determined to continue using Genie and open bugs as I see them, knowing that someone on the other end will take them seriously and respond.

Very happy to have you join, I'm sure Jamie could use some help!

valac has been self-hosting for a while, meaning that it itself is written in Vala. This includes the parsers for Genie and Vala languages: both parse the language source code into the same data structure, which valac then outputs as C code. If you involve yourself in Genie, you would likely not have to deal with the C-code generation. All of Genie is really just a single .vala file. (It would be fairly easy to add other dialects to valac, too. Well, as long as the maintainer can make sure to keep the dialect up to date with the latest capabilities...)

As a convenience, valac can send all these generated C files to gcc, which does the actual compilation to binary. But valac is not itself a binary compiler. So, no, not quite an interpreted language, but also not a to-binary compiler. In a sense, it's a bit like some pre-processors for C/C++. It's really quite brilliant: all the advantages of C code, and many of the advantages of higher-level languages.

I have a large project that involves Genie, C and C++ together. C++ requires some special integration work, but otherwise everything works together wonderfully.