Re: [Vala] Worried about the state of Genie

I'm not sure how Genie is more "transitional" than Vala in your view. Both offer the same benefits, just with a different syntax.

Some of the bugs are real bugs: things that are supposed to work but don't.

Some of them are requests to get Genie on par with Vala features -- there are things you simply can't do in Genie right now, but can do in Vala, and they are important. You can argue that these aren't bugs per se, but they do make Genie weak.

But some are truly linguistic: you are free to argue that the "if" statement is not broken, but I think if you read my bug report carefully you'll see that in many trivial situations it would indeed appear to be quite broken. The current "if" behavior is simply bad. Also, the current syntax makes it impossible to use generics in many common situations.

I like your two suggestions, Al, and hope you will open them as enhancements so at least we can track them.

But this discussion on specifics is pointless if no work will be done on Genie! I believe that the Vala team should reach a clear decision as to what to do with Genie. If Genie cannot be supported, then the responsible thing to do would be to say so and update the GNOME site.