Re: [Vala] The perfect Vala/GNOME IDE...

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:16:55AM +0100, Filip Lamparski wrote:

* (Linux-specific) Package generation
On Linux, the preferred way of distributing software is via packages, be it
DEB, RPM or any other format. I think if there is
an installer generator for Windows, then there should be a package
generator for most popular Linux distros, too.

Please, no.

The preferred way of installing software on Linux is to use the packages
provided by the distribution not just because you can save the time you
would otherwise spend compiling, but mostly because the packages shipped
with a distribution are perfectly integrated into that distribution.

You might be able to automatically generate a somewhat working .deb package
from a source tree, but integrating with all the packages that might be
installed on the host system requires a huge amount of work, and it’s
really hard to get it right: distributions like Debian have a peer–review
process for packages for a reason.

All the other suggestions are good: now we just need somebody to volunteer
to write the code ;)

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>