Re: [Vala] State of Vala IDEs

On 06/25/2012 11:29 PM, Luca Dionisi wrote:
Since I started using Vala, I always used gedit to code, hand-written
makefiles to build and nemiver to debug.
Recently I started with some experiments with anjuta and I would
advice to use it.
You have to learn the basics of autotools, but with some good tutorial
you can do it.
You will eventually get:
  - code completion / goto declaration
  - debugging at vala lines of code
  - a nice build system

Well that does sound promising! Using the autotools is not an issue for me as I use them anyway, and wouldn't dream of switching to an IDE's preferred build system, at least not for existing code.

I think I'll give Anjuta a try!

I started with:
sudo apt-get install autogen libvala-0.14-dev anjuta
sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev glade

Then create a Vala project with anjuta. Study the files:
  - configure.ac
  - src/Makefile.am
and search the internet for the meaning of the rules that you find there.

Good luck.

--Luca