Re: [Vala] vala code generation too constrained?

I'll jump in here.

The original poster is asking that Vala relax some of its restrictions that
are in place due to its relationship with C.  The only restriction that's
been named so far (unless I missed something) is overloaded method names.

Although I used overloaded methods a lot in my past work with Java and C++,
I don't miss them at all with Vala.  They worked fine with Java.  Name
mangling in C++ is, in my mind, completely broken, particularly since each
vendor uses a different mangling scheme.  Not only does this impeded with
building libraries, but walking a debugger stack trace is like studying the
garbage a modem terminal program spits out when mom picks up the phone.

Personally, I like being able to peruse valac's C code and understand what
it's doing.  There are certain situations where this is invaluable,
sometimes more valuable than symbolic debugging.

I understand the original poster's concern.  If I'm building a stand-alone
application, it seems restrictive to be constrained by requirements that
only apply to libraries.

But so far the only objection I've heard on this thread is about overloaded
methods.  Can anyone name other constraints that are headaches?

And are overloaded methods really such a got-to-have feature?  Or are they a
nice-to-have you can live without?

-- Jim