Re: [Vala] Cross compiling vala gtk to win32

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:34:31PM -0300, Martin Leibner wrote:

Hello,

I'm a GNU beginner learning Vala since a couple of months and after playing
and enjoying a lot in my Ubuntu desktop installation, now I want to build
some small apps to be used by MS Windows users.
I came into MingW32, and with some efforts finally was able to build a
console-based 'HelloWorld' targeting i586-mingw32msvc
But it's getting really difficult to build a gtk-based 'HelloWorld', btw I'm
using autotools stack.

Someone could help me, maybe with a minimal gtk vala sample application
targeting w32 ?

I found myself in the same situation not long ago because of an application
I had to write.

I collected some notes along the way, with the idea of writing a more
comprehensive guide in the near future; then along came GTK+ 3, which is
AFAIK not really ready for use on Windows yet, and then the maintainer of
the current GTK+ 2 binary release for Windows decided to stop working on
that, so I never took the time to improve my notes, seeing it as work on
soon–to–be–obsolete technology. I would be glad to share what I have,
though, if you are interested.

You can take a look at the sources for the application I was referring
to[1], which, despite not being exactly a minimal example (you can avoid
some of the things I did if you don’t need Cairo and libxml2), could give
you some hints about how to cross–compile a win32 application.

[1] http://git.roundhousecode.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?p=beebop.git;a=summary
--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>