Re: [Vala] valac can read a typelib in place of a vapi binding

On 04/02/2011 07:21 AM, Jürg Billeter wrote:
Hi Adam,

2. Is there a long-term plan to deprecate .vapi files in favor of type
libraries?  Can type libraries express everything that .vapi files can?
GIR files (vala doesn't read typelibs, it reads the xml versions) cannot
express everything that .vapi files can and probably never will. They
are focused on GObject-based libraries while .vapi can also handle quite
a few other libraries reasonably well.

Aha - now I see this was my mistake. When I compiled with '--pkg PeasGtk-1.0', I thought Vala was reading

/usr/lib/girepository-1.0/PeasGtk-1.0.typelib

But actually it was reading this .gir file:

/usr/share/gir-1.0/PeasGtk-1.0.gir

The plan is to replace our .gi files (old gobject-introspection) by .gir
files (new gobject-introspection) as soon as possible, while still
shipping generated .vapi files.

Good to know.

adam