[Vala] valac can read a typelib in place of a vapi binding

I realized to my surprise today that valac (0.11.7) can read a GObject introspection type library in place of a VAPI file! For example, I can specify '--pkg PeasGtk-1.0' on the command line and valac will read types from /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/PeasGtk-1.0.typelib, which lets me use libpeas types even though there is no libpeas.vapi anywhere.

1. Is this documented somewhere? How long has this cool feature existed without my knowing about it? :)

2. Is there a long-term plan to deprecate .vapi files in favor of type libraries? Can type libraries express everything that .vapi files can?

adam