Re: [Vala] valac can read a typelib in place of a vapi binding

INAVD (I'm not a Vala developer ;))

I realized to my surprise today that valac (0.11.7) can read a GObject
introspection type library in place of a VAPI file!  For example, I can
specify '--pkg PeasGtk-1.0' on the command line and valac will read
types from /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/PeasGtk-1.0.typelib, which lets me
use libpeas types even though there is no libpeas.vapi anywhere.

Cool!

1. Is this documented somewhere?  How long has this cool feature existed
without my knowing about it?  :)

2. Is there a long-term plan to deprecate .vapi files in favor of type
libraries?  Can type libraries express everything that .vapi files can?

I guess it will never happen. You can't loose possibility of creating
bindings to non-gobject libraries, it's far more cool than the whole
gobject type system.

best regards,
AW.

adam