Re: [Vala] Final / Sealed classes in Vala

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:40:04 +0200,
Didier 'Ptitjes' <ptitjes free fr> wrote:

For instance you may have an abstract class A that defines some
methods as virtual, a child class B that re-implements some of the
virtual methods of A and that wish the sub-classing to be blocked at
its level, because subclasses would break its behavior by
miss-overriding the virtuals.

Something I don't get here...  The whole point of subclassing, is to
make something old, do something new.

Isn't that like calling any developer that might be looking at
extending your class, an idiot?  I'd have thought making sure virtuals
aren't miss-overridden, is the responsibility of proper documentation.

Does anyone have a concrete example of where this sort of thing is
actually appropriate, just for the sake of blocking sub-classing?

--
Fredderic

Debian/unstable (LC#384816) on i686 2.6.30-1-686 2009 (up 2 days, 21:48)