Re: [Vala] Embed Python into Vala, extend Vala with Python

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Frederik<scumm_fredo gmx net> wrote:
ecir hana wrote:

Yes, except that PyMethodDef is a type, not a function. I have
translated this example to Vala (see attachment). I have put the
bindings into a separate 'python.vapi' file. You can compile with:

Thank you! This is very useful for me. It already does more than I wanted.

I tried to modify your code so I can call Vala function with string
argument from within Python (attached bellow).

However, I'm slowly getting lost:
- during compiling, valac says:
pythondemo3.vala.c:43: warning: passing arg 2 of `Py_InitModule4'
discards qualifiers from pointer target type
Is this what you said below about 'emb_methods' being constant?
(it might just be the case that I have weird python installation, though...)
- looking in your .vapi, what does it mean "..."? Variable number of arguments?
- and what does it mean, that class Object is empty? Doesn't it
matter? Or better yet, what should be inside?
- arg_parse_tuple(), when converting Python strings to C strings
expects char pointer, is it ok to write &s in Vala?
http://docs.python.org/extending/extending.html#extracting-parameters-in-extension-functions
http://docs.python.org/c-api/arg.htm (the very first format string "s")

PS: I'm sorry if I bother you guys....

$ valac pythondemo.vala -X -lpython2.6 --pkg python --vapidir .

The C compiler emits a warning about 'emb_methods' being constant, but
Vala currently allows short array initialization with structs only for
const arrays.