Re: [Vala] mod_vala (was Removal of Mono)

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Andrea Bolognani wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 00:33:26 -0400 (EDT)
"Michael B. Trausch" <mbt zest trausch us> wrote:

I do plan for it to be
more than _just_ a FastCGI library, I want to provide some level of HTTP
request abstraction that is just slightly higher than the FastCGI protocol
itself.

Am I really witnessing the birth of Vala Server Pages? I've been dreaming of
this day for so long!

Maybe. I would not be opposed to growing additional things around the project. The primary goal is to be able to implement Web services easily. After the base FastCGI stuff is done, it would not be terribly difficult to create a framework, other than providing a rich class library. There are an uunlimited number od paradigms to choose from when implementing it, and of course since it all compiles to C anyway, it makes it possible to have very efficient applications written this way.

The nice thing is that with this sort of setup, you gain privilege separation. If the application is FastCGI-based, it can be run as a user other than the Web server. This way you get the advantages of C and Vala (since you can freely mix the two), and can simply restrict the application using system configuration. I think that it has the potential to be used in various new ways, too. Think about extending a server application with an embedded, sandboxed Python interpreter or so.

Anyway, it is an idea. Let's get the FastCGI stuff working and go from there. There seems to definitely be interest... I will try to publish the project this coming week.

        --- Mike