From: Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch>
Subject: [Vala] Header file generation
To: vala-list gnome org
Date: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 5:14 AM
I want to finally solve issues we're having related to
generation of C
header files. The current situation is that valac generates
a .h file in
addition to a .c file for each .vala source file. The .h
files describe
both, the public and the internal, C API.

There are various issues with the current approach:

 * Header file interdependencies
   Header files often depend on other header files and
sometimes these
   dependencies form cycles. These cycles are currently
detected by the
   compiler and resolved as far as possible - for example,
by moving
   typedefs to other header files and reordering includes.

   While this works in many cases, there are situations
that cannot be
   solved with the current approach, depending on what type
you declare
   in what .vala file. There are also situations that could
be solved
   with the current approach but are not implemented yet;
it would
   complicate the code even further.

 * Internal API
   The whole point of an internal API is that it is
internal, and we
   should therefore aim to separate public from internal
header files.

 * Build performance
   As the internal API is in the header file as well, small
changes can
   lead to a rebuild of the whole library or application.
As the C
   compilation takes more time than the Vala compilation
for larger
   projects, developers could profit from a vastly
increased rebuild
   performance if we can solve this issue.

 * No single header file for users
   The trend in GLib-based libraries is to only provide a
single header
   file per library for public use. The advantage is that
it is easier
   to provide a stable include mechanism and provides more
flexibility
   to the internal header organization of libraries.

   This is currently not directly supported by the Vala
compiler,
   leading to extra work for people that want to provide
that.

It is important that we find a permanent solution as
changes to this can
lead to broken build systems, and I intend to finish
upstream automake
integration as soon as we have a stable solution.

Possible solution steps and their issues:

 * Centralize type declarations
   Interdependencies only occur among type declarations
(typedefs and
   struct declarations). If we move type declarations to a
central
   place and include that before any function and global
variable
   declarations, we solve the dependency issues. However,
this change
   might decrease build performance, especially if we also
do this for
   internal types.

 * Generate two sets of header files
   For each source file foo.vala, we could generate
foo-priv.h in
   addition to foo.c and foo.h and move the internal C API
there. One
   issue with this approach is that it clutters the source
directory
   with even more files. The compiler will always have to
generate all
   three files, even if some are empty, to not break build
system
   integration.

 * Generate one additional header file for the internal API
   We could avoid generating many -priv.h by just
generating one big
   foo-priv.h file that contains the full internal.
However, in some
   projects you have a large internal API, for example, in
applications
   without plugin support. This means that rebuild
performance would get
   a lot worse.

 * Minimize use of header files
   A more radical approach would be to not use header files
where not
   necessary. The Vala compiler could insert required
declarations at
   the top of each generated .c file and only use include
directives for
   external libraries. This would lead to optimal rebuild
performance at
   the cost of a bit larger .c files.

   We obviously still need to support generating header
files to use
   libraries written in Vala. I would propose to add an
option -H foo.h
   to valac to generate a single header file with the full
public C API.

I'm leaning towards the last solution as this solves
all of the issues
mentioned above and should also provide the simplest way to
integrate
into build systems such as automake. I can understand that
some people
might not like that solution as it deviates from the
traditional way how
you would do it in C. However, Vala is about practical
solutions, not
traditions.

The mail got longer than I thought, however, since
you've made it to the
end, it would be nice to get some feedback to my proposed
solution.

Cheers,
Jürg