Re: [Vala] Possible bug in naming conflicts?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:54:24 -0500
"Michael B. Trausch" <mike trausch us> wrote:

When stacking the three together, I have to say that I agree.  If the
goal is to retain 100% adherence to existing convention, the only
reasonable thing is to throw an error.  C is held together by
convention it would seem, and so it wouldn't appear to be a good idea
to disturb that.

Some sort of predictable name-mangling would also be possible, though
there'd of course have to be a convention for doing it.  :-)

There would be, in fact, another option, perhaps the best one: change
the convention on the C side to use get_gtype() instead of get_type(),
which would make sense since the returned object is a GType and get_type()
is a really generic name.

This, of course, cannot be achieved without breaking *every library* based
on GObject, so I'm not sure the gain would be worth the effort.

P.S. The message quoted by Michael was supposed to go to the list, but
     I messed up the recipients.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>