[Vala] Possible bug in naming conflicts?

I am toying with creating bindings and wrappers for bindings, and came
across a strange situation wherein defining a method named "get_type()"
causes a conflict with one of the GLib functions of the same name and
prefix. It would seem to me that unless one was incredibly familiar
with the GObject type system, this wouldn't make any sense.

So, two questions:

  1.  Is this a bug?
  2.  If so, should I file a bug report at the bugzilla, or would the
      person presumably answering yes to my first question be able to
      file a more detailed report?

Essentially, I am wrapping libuuid, and having a method get_type()
makes sense to get the UUID type.  I have worked around it by having a
UUIDType property instead, but it seems kind of strange to have to be
walking on eggshells to avoid naming conflicts in a higher-level
language.

        --- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.