Re: [Vala] Libgee problem

Hi,

2009/12/10 Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr>:

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 23:13 +0100, Jiří Zárevúcky wrote:
In order to make a value type nullable, you need to convert it to a
reference type. That's what you call boxing. So nullable and "boxed"
types are essentially the same (in C# anyway I think). Though I believe
Vala doesn't actually treat nullable types as reference types, because
there is no way to track reference count (someone correct me if I'm
mistaken). A nullable variable is implemented as a simple pointer here.
I'm not sure about the jargon, but I think "a pointer with memory
management even if without reference counting" is actually a reference
type. (like most of the compact classes)

So that means you can't have boxed non-nullable types ?
Yes, or at least it's a very hidden feature that needs to be documented ;-p
And that means a "double" has a different behavior than a "double?" ?
Because of automatic boxing/unboxing, you won't notice the difference
often, but yes, it could be.

Non-obvious.
=> needs to be documented as part of the documentation hackaton

Peace,
Abderrahim