[Vala] Vala time handling.

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out my way around vala's time stuff, but I'm having
a hard time, looking at vapi files isn't great :/

Specifically I want to produce timestamps, generally this is an easy
thing to do in most languages but I'm having a syntactical nightmare
with vala :(

So far I'm doing essentially this;

        Time time = Time.local(time_t ());
        string stime;
        time.strptime(stime, "%s");

or

        char[] stime;
        time.strftime(stime, "%s");

which I'd imagine would work, however I get;
hellodir.c:38: error: called object ‘time’ is not a function

when trying either of these :/ its especially difficult as the only use
of time I can find is in the clock example, and that doesn't deal with
timestamps at all.

I simply need a unsigned integer out of it, so if someone can post the
correct usage of atoi if its anything other than int = atoi(string);
that would be cool too,

thanks in advance,

BR,
 K,