Re: [Vala] memory leaks

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 14:59 +0100, pancake wrote:
I plan to write a daemon in Vala. My reasons are:

 - clean code
 - low footprint
 - direct C bindings

The problem is that this program will run indefinitely on an ARM board out of the human
acces for a long while (together with others mobos that will be doing the same).

My question is..does anyone has checked if Vala leaks?

I've run valac under valgrind a couple of times and fixed issues that
appeared. I don't know of any memory leak issues in the memory manager
of the Vala compiler. However, the generated bindings miss a lot of
memory management-related metadata and this may lead to quite some
memory leaks in applications using them.

The long-term plan is to add necessary annotations to the source code
comments of all GNOME libraries (as part of gobject-introspection work).
The bindings generator will interpret these annotations and generate
correct VAPI files.

The short-term plan is to add appropriate attributes to the .metadata
files of generated bindings but this is a tedious task.

I think that the main reason if a vala program leaks is the program itself, coz is
not properly written.

Leaks (resp. use after free) should only be possible when using broken
bindings, circular references, or raw pointers (and so avoiding the
automatic memory management).

BTW i think that GLIB has some memory-usage statistics and backtracing and so,
is this accesible from Vala? (if accesible from c it is :P but no idea how)

Try valgrind, you can use it with Vala applications exactly the same.

http://live.gnome.org/Valgrind

Jürg