Re: [Utopia] [patch] use gnome-mount and small fixes for gnome-vfs

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 17:51 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Interesting, thanks for the insights. It seems to me that it should
> > probably be dependent on install class (e.g. allow this for laptops, not
> > so for servers), but, eh, this is distro dependent. Oh well.
>
> Right; so far we just kept the paranoid approach, until somebody
> complains really loudly. :)

Right. Btw, I'm not sure what approach Fedora will take, that's partly
up to the Fedora maintainers - I'm only trying to influence them :-)

> Also, there is nothing wrong if gnome-vfs shows mounted Windows
> partitions and the like. In fact it has done so since the beginnings
> of Ubuntu, and it is very handy. We just don't allow users to mount hd
> partitions by default, but if they are configured in fstab (usually in
> the installer), it can be used normally of course, and is fully
> integrated into the usual Gnome places.

Sure, I was thinking if you would be opposed to showing these volumes by
default, e.g. upstream gnome-vfs shipping with

 /system/storage/display_internal_hard_drives

set to TRUE by default? At least stuff like pmount or gnome-mount can
then ask for auth in the event the distro is configured to require e.g.
uid 0 to actually mount these things. I like this approach because it
gives the user a complete view of the storage devices he got in his
machine. How paranoid (and stubborn :-) distributions are is another
matter.

> BTW, it came to my knowledge that Ludwig Nussel from SuSE had a
> similar idea: http://www.suse.de/~lnussel/pamwrapper/. However, I
> didn't look at it at all so far.

Interesting, will take a look.

Cheers,