Re: [Utopia] [patch] use gnome-mount and small fixes for gnome-vfs

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 10:05 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 16:16 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> >  4. Change the defaults in the gconf schema that determines whether
> >     internal hard disks are shown or not. This is now sane as gnome-
> >     mount is able to mount the internal drives in the default HAL
> >     configuration.
>
> I'm not sure about this, if this is only gonna work for people using
> gnome-mount.

I *think* pmount can do this (e.g. mount the windows partition on a dual
boot system) too I'm not sure. Martin, Jeff?

> Also, wasn't there lots of discussions about security
> issues around this?

Yes, there are people that are concerned that console users may mount
internal disks in their own machines (I'm not one of them). My view is
that this is a largely a distribution choice and, no, I'm not sure what
Fedora will do at this point (see RH bug #177177 for details) but I
think we will allow this. See also my mails to the hal and dbus list
about the need for easy ways to tweak this policy.

Btw, at some point I plan to add support in gnome-mount for asking for
auth in the event the user is not privileged to mount. Then on e.g.
Fedora consolehelper will probably be used to ask for the root password
or whatever.

Oh, reminds me... is there a standard library that GNOME apps can use
and it'll use the preferred way of auth on different distributions? E.g.
consolehelper on Fedora, the sudo thing on Ubuntu etc.

> > Btw, I couldn't build without ripping out Werror - maybe it's just my
> > compiler or version of glib/gtk+/gnome libraries, maybe not. I'm on
> > Fedora Rawhide ppc btw.
>
> Hmmm? What error did you get?

Something about g_atomic_<something> and the parameter having a wrong
type. Will check tonight and report back as I don't have my Powerbook
with me right now.

> > Also, nautilus and the gnomevfs filechooser backend still needs fixing
> > as they don't honor the contract (we introduced it in 2.12 I think, see
> > libgnomevfs/gnome-vfs-volume-ops.c:mount_umount_thread() - search for
> > 'contract'). This is bad as gnome-mount now displays error dialogs on
> > it's own but both Nautilus and the file chooser shows an empty dialog.
> > Which looks bad. Btw, these issues have to be resolved even without this
> > patch being applied.
>
> I'm fixing this for nautilus.

Cool, thanks a million.

> > There are no changes to any strings in this patch to gnome-vfs. OK to
> > commit?
>
> I commited it (except the default change) to make sure it ends up in
> todays release.

Very cool, thanks a lot Alex.

Cheers,
David