Re: [Utopia] [patch] use gnome-mount and small fixes for gnome-vfs

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 09:03 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> When pmount was initially created, we explicitly defined that pmount
> must not mount hard disk partitions. In Ubuntu, hard disk partitions
> which are supposed to be used by the user are created statically in
> fstab, and you can explicitly allow additional devices in
> /etc/pmount.allow, though.

Interesting, thanks for the insights. It seems to me that it should
probably be dependent on install class (e.g. allow this for laptops, not
so for servers), but, eh, this is distro dependent. Oh well.

> > Oh, reminds me... is there a standard library that GNOME apps can use
> > and it'll use the preferred way of auth on different distributions? E.g.
> > consolehelper on Fedora, the sudo thing on Ubuntu etc.
>
> That would indeed be a nice abstraction, given over how many places
> this is spread. I. e. (using consolehelper/gksudo/gsku/etc.). However,
> I'm not aware of a project to abstract these into a library.

Yea. That would be nice. It's needed to make GNOME more admin friendly.

    David