Re: [Utopia] gnome-mount 0.3 is out

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 14:31 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > This might change sooner that later. I was talking to Matthew Garrett
> > on IRC some days ago about him finishing the patch that makes
> > hald run unprivileged but still exec helpers (addons, callouts, method
> > invocations) from a helper process still running as root (using D-BUS
> > in point to point mode between the two).  The reason, IIRC, was the
> > desire to use the power management methods that HAL now offers.
>
> What do you think will read volume labels an similar stuff from new
> devices then?

But today all privileged access to a device happens in a helper called
out from hald, no? That's in hald/linux2/probing and elsewhere.

There may be a few cases (reading battery info comes to mind) where we
need to clean this up too; that's all part of the work of separating
hald into two processes - the unprivileged one handling D-BUS requests
and the uid 0 one that executes helpers. Don't you think this is nicer,
we get less code running at uid 0 which is always good even if there are
no real threats (still I'm waiting for Martin to point those out).

Or did I miss the point?

David