[Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 15:52 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 20:18 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > When I'm sitting in the park and my laptop is running on battery I want
> > > it to suspend after 10 minutes. When it's plugged into mains at work I
> > > want it to be two hours. Look at the XvsXP site I posted in my original
> > > mail for more examples.

> > > Please elaborate.
> >
> > At the moment there are two different combos for "on mains" and "on
> > batteries" for all the suspend type stuff. I.e. you can set to suspend
> > after 10 minutes if on battery, and after 1 hour if on mains.
>
> Yeah, I see that. I would shuffle the dialog around so it's more
> intuitive though, something like OS X one http://www.xvsxp.com/power/ ;
> that one is really good.

Cool, I'll have a play tomorrow with new layouts.

> So, I'd have single combo box for settings (default to whatever state
> the system is in) and two tabs "Sleep" and "Options"
>
>  +-------------------------------------------+
>  |                                           |
>  | Setting: [Power Adapter / Battery Power]  |  <--- visible only if
>  |  _________________                        |       the system have
>  | | Sleep | Options |                       |       batteries. For
>  | +---------------------------------------+ +       desktop systems it
>  | |                                       | |       is not visible
>  | |           (stuff goes here)           | |
>  | |                                       | |
>  | +---------------------------------------+ |
>  |                                           |
>  | [X] Display icon in notification area     |
>  |                                           |
>  |                                   [Close] |
>  +-------------------------------------------+
>
> Things I in the current preference dialog that I wouldn't include
>
>  - "Sleep type"; it doesn't make sense to ask the user about this [1]

Okay, I didn't know how configurable this should be - maybe only make
configurable in gconf...

>  - "Display icon on toolbar"; fix up wording and make it a global option

Will do.

>  - "Primary Batteries"; not interesting to the user

I'll have a play with the new layout, thanks.

>  - "Buttons"; move this to "Options" [2]

Yes, I was thinking of this myself; a generic options page for the misc.
stuff.

> Also, I wouldn't mention anything about Wireless Mice etc. in the
> preferences dialogs at all - the only visible place in g-p-m for such is
> to put up a warning when the battery is low (maybe show them too for the
> tooltip for the notification icon).

Not even in misc?

> [1] : g-p-m should simply choose itself what sleep state to put the
> computer in; over time, for ACPI systems this may be S1 (sleep) -> S3
> (deeper sleep) -> S4 (suspend to disk AKA hibernate) after SLEEP_TIME,
> 2*SLEEP_TIME and 3*SLEEP_TIME.

Just Works and all that... okay.

> Either way, the point is that the user will have difficulty figuring the
> difference between "Suspend" and "Hibernate" and frankly he should never
> have to spend time worrying about the difference.

Agree.

> No no, I'm not suggesting the user should switch manually :-)

Cool, thanks for the input David,

Richard.