Re: [Utopia] gnome-vfs patch, take one

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 17:23, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Yes, we probably want to add a 'hal' flag to mount much the same way
> kudzu does. This will make fstab mgmt a whole lot easier.
>
> But I see little point in showing icons for unmounted volumes, I mean
> why should we in this patch assume g-v-m is not automounting media?
> And if the use for some reason have disabled automounting, he should
> be able to mount it himself from the commandline. That's my opinion
> anyway..
>
> Floppies, of course, need to be handled in a special way. IIRC there
> were some discussion on how to access floppies through a gnome-vfs
> method with what is essentially a userspace driver? With the benefit
> that the user doesn't have to mount/unmount the disc? (and HAL can't
> do it for him because of hardware limitations). But I can't remember
> the specifics...

This is contrary to how the Gnome volume handling setup for nautilus was
designed (as described in e.g.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2003-September/msg00122.html
and
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2003-September/msg00294.html
) and how its currently implemented (see "Computer" in Gnome 2.6 and the
implementation of GnomeVFSDevice and GnomeVFSVolume).

I don't see why this should suddenly change due to another backend being
used?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a jaded amnesiac master criminal on the hunt for the last specimen of a
great and near-mythical creature. She's a hard-bitten belly-dancing snake
charmer with a song in her heart and a spring in her step. They fight crime!