Re: [Utopia] [patch] gvm property name changes

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 16:51 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Would there be a way to "import" libgphoto's database in HAL's so that
> we would be able to sync every now and then from libgphoto's "knowledge
> base"?

Yeah. It's sort of an egg-and-chicken situation though. Two things can
be done:

 1. Generate lots of .fdi files

 2. Drop a script in /etc/hal/device.d and if $HAL_PROP_INFO_BUS==usb
    pass $HAL_PROP_USB_VENDOR_ID and $HAL_PROP_USB_PRODUCT_ID to a
    patched gphoto2 binary that tells you if the camera is supported
    or not. If supported merge properties onto the HAL device..

I like the latter approach a lot better :-)

That will also solve various cross-distro and upgrade issues if the DB
in the installed HAL varies from the DB in the installed libgphoto.

Cheers,
David