Re: [Utopia] persistent partition naming

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 15:12 +0100, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:10:23 +0200
> David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:
>
> > A floppy drive? How does this look - can you send the output of lshal
> > and/or a screenshot?
> >

> At the moment no, later I can. The idea is when the "security switch" is
> "closed" a floppy drive shows up, and you run the security software from
> there to validate yourself, which opens up the rest of the device as a
> removable media device. When the switch is "open" both a floppy drive
> and another removable drive show up. This works as intened in windows,
> but looks a little strange in linux. It shows as one device, with
> volumes on/dev/sda1 and/dev/sdb1-3. That sounds really strange, I will
> get that screen-shot later.

Woow, I'm not going to comment on that vendors approach to security, but
perhaps a .fdi can be used to blacklist the partition with the software
used for authentication (I guess the software is Windows only) so it is
not mounted or shown in GNOME.

I'm assuming that at least part of the storage device is not 'secured'
and exactly this is usable in GNOME. That would require some design
decisions on the storage.* namespace and changes to g-v-m I guess. Care
to send a patch and a .fdi-file?

Cheers,
David