[Utopia] persistent partition naming

Hey, nice to have this 'good place' instead of zapping through the blogs.
("utopia" can be read as the greek "eu topos" and means "good place", or
"ou topos" which means "no place") :)

I would really like a feature in the device handling stack,
that mounts the partition of a removable device everytime on the same
place in the filesystem, regardless of the connection order.

If I plug in my usb-stick-mp3-player, it would be nice if my favorite
audio player can access the filesystem by remembering the path to it.
Yes, I use a udev-rule, but the average user is not expected to do this.

I tried a udev callout which handles all uncatched partitions, generates
a name for a symlink and finally creates a rule-file in /etc/udev/rules.d/
with the device serial number. So the next time the device appears, this
rule will catch it.
But I'm not really happy with it. What is the right place to do something
like this?  What do you think?

thanks,
Kay