Re: [Usability] GtkNotebook scrolling

I want to point to the very interesting link that was posted by Andreas
Nilsson in gtk-devel list:
http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2008/08/11/usability

For me, it is a *huge* usability feature to be able to scroll through
notebook tabs. I use this all the time when using Firefox, Nautilus,
gedit and other applications with lots of documents opened in tabs. I
love it.

So, please do not remove another good feature from GTK.

My proposal to solve this issue (if there really is one):

* enable mouse wheel scrolling only in cases where not all tabs fit into
the window/container. This is similar to the displaying of arrows in
such case. If all tabs fit into the window disable the scrolling
(automatically).

* do not introduce another (hidden) configuration flag or
parameter/option to the Notebook api. Do not let the particular
developers decide, since this would end in even more confusion (some
applications allow it, some not?)

Keep GTK the best toolkit out there, good job so far. Thanks for all the
work done.

Kind regards.
Jean-Peer

BTW: I also love the possibility of scrolling through values in
Listboxes and Comboboxes. Please don't suggest to remove this feature
next because unexperienced users may accidentally change a list value.

PS: I've posted this mail already on the gtk-devel list but it wasn't
approved till today.