Re: [Usability] GNOME Main Menu and the Distribution Logo

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 23:47:17 +0800
Allan Caeg <allancaeg gmail com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The distro logo is a logical requirement for a default desktop setup
> for branding purposes (and maybe some others). Where should it be,

I can understand its a good spot for distro branding, but I don't
see that it has to stay that way - boot up, desktop wallpapers, and
probably other places (like an <about distro> under system) are other
places they can tout themselves.

> how should it be displayed, and how should it behave? For some
> reason, it is on "Applications"

A location which is kinda strange.

> On OS X, it is a little icon on the top left corner and it behaves
> like a "System" menu, if I'm not mistaken. (I can't check because I'm
> not on a Mac so correct me if I'm wrong). The logo represents the
> "Macintosh" and it opens a menu of things that will control your
> Macintosh system. To open applications or folders and do other
> things, the user has to click something else. This makes sense,
> because other elements in the stock OS X desktop obviously suffice
> for those non-system things.

A behaviour I like quite a lot on macs when I use one. I'd support
making the same sort of split with the distro icon, if it must hang
around.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)