Re: [Usability] Requesting a right-click root menu for GNOME 3

Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 19:16 +0200, Felipe Erias Morandeira wrote:
> [...]
>> Wouldn't it be enough to have configurable key bindings to change the
>> desktop, open a new one, etc...?
>
> How would you discover them?  The point of the right-click is that
> it can be ubiquitous, or nearly so, and hence people are likely
> to try it.

Dunno, same way other similar shortcuts are discovered? :-)

The problem with a right click is that it inherently creates a noun-verb
relationship between the element that you click on and the commands that
are presented (that's why is is often called a "contextual menu"), so
you have to make sure that both make sense together. For instance, in
the current GNOME the contextual options for the desktop are all actions
taht you can perform on the desktop itself (change background, create
file...). Now, I don't know what happens when you do a right click on
Gnome Shell's desktop, so I'm not sure if the options that you mention
would make sense in a contextual menu there.

Felipe