[Usability] Requesting a right-click root menu for GNOME 3

Hello,

I would just like to bring this forward regarding GNOME's interface and the looming GNOME 3 and its "Shell".

I use GNOME on my main production box, Fluxbox on the netbook and laptops I have. Generally, we use Fluxbox at the monastery but I'm trying to stay in touch with what is going on for users (so I can answer questions occasionally on Ubuntu Forum) so am now writing this in GNOME. I run Metacity rather than Compiz. I have one panel, not expanded, and auto-hidden. I use it mainly to view the calendar or to dig down for something.  I've customized keybindings for switching workspaces to ALT + number keys because CTL+ALT and arrowing back and forth through each is just too slow. After much consideration regarding Mono, I've started using Do instead of the ALT+F2 run dialogue.

The "Shell" for GNOME 3 and it's overlay would be absolutely dreadful for me, and I think for some if not most users. I simply won't do the navigation of the cursor around and pointing and clicking, and having this huge menu thing taking over the desktop would make getting anything done more awkward than I can justify.

So here's the gist, the point, the nub:

How about allowing users to enable a right-click configurable menu on the root window so that those like me can still use GNOME?
I would prefer it to be configured using flat text but XML would be all right.

Tabbing windows as in Fluxbox would be great as well, but the most important thing for me would be being able to bypass the "Shell" overlay.

Thank you for reading this and I hope that you will consider this. And thank you to all who contribute to GNOME .

Anzan Hoshin
http://wwzc.org