[Usability] group management (on a massive scale)

I have a requirement to create a user interface for managing large
numbers of members and groups.
I've seen a few examples on this list, but most of them break down
when there is more than a handful of members to work with.

The basic idea is that a user will be able to create a group (50
groups on the high end), and assign members to one or more groups
(needs to support 500 members on the high end).

The other rub is that I want to be able to see all the groups that a
member is associated with in the same interface used to manage the
groups that a member belongs to.

Could someone point me to any examples of such an interface, or offer any ideas?

--
Anthony Ettinger
408-656-2473